Mittwoch, 19. Februar 2014

HOW GERMAN ARE YOU?


What I have been asking myself quite a few times already is how German can you be when you have only lived one year of your life in Germany? I decided to do a little selftest with common clichés:

1. GERMANS ARE ALWAYS ON TIME

Punctuality is a sensitive issue in my family, growing up with a Dad who tends to be let's say casual when it comes to timing and a Mom, who is always 15 minutes early. I've never actually missed a plane, however, I made the lovely experience of actually having to hang around the airport until I'm allowed to check in. Twice.
For my share, I seem to take after my father but ever since I cleverly put my clock 5 minutes forward, my timing has improved massively. 

2. GERMANS LOVE BREAKFAST

Hell to the yeah! I'm spreading the love for soft boiled eggs, cheese and bread around campus as I plan on opening a "German Breakfast Society". If you want to know who my friends are just ask people if they knew what a "Brötchen" was-  if they do they're definitely chummy with me!




3. GERMANS OPEN A BEER BOTTLE WITH ANYTHING BUT A BOTTLE OPENER

Yep, of course beer had to be included in my little checklist.
Being so passionate about our allegedly favorite drink earned me the nickname "beerbabe", after my first few days in Buckingham. 
When it comes to opening a bottle, however, I appear rather foreign, using an opener instead of my teeth or eyes or any other body parts. 
I'm pretty convinced though, that there is some truths behind that cliché, latest ever sine a friend of mine had to go to hospital on a classtrip, after cutting of his fingertip while trying to open a beer bottle with the bed frame. Not recommendable.




4. GERMANS LOVE SAUSAGE

Now this cliché definitely does not apply to me considering the fact that I used to be vegetarian until September 2013. I am probably rather French when it comes to my favorite breakfast items, making my flatmate unbelievingly murmur: "cottage cheese, white cheese, gouda cheese… you have everything cheese" after a first look in the fridge when we moved into our apartment.
Well, je suis desolée but I'd always prefer a lovely goat cheese over a "Weißwurscht". 


5. GERMANS ARE ALWAYS SERIOUS 

For me that really depends, sometimes I'm all serious, than again I accidentally wiped the kitchen floor several times because of cracking up over the most random things. There are some things, however, that would always pull me out of my serious mood such as cute animals, especially if they are slightly overweight like this chap: 




CONCLUSION

Well, I'd definitely say that I meet quite a few stereotypes, especially those starting with a "b": breakfast, blond, beer. 
When it comes to culinary preferences, however, I would rather consider myself Japanese or Vietnamese, looking into punctuality probably Spanish. 
If you feel like testing your German tendencies, go ahead and take the selftest! Don't forget to share your experience, though!

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen