Sonntag, 11. Mai 2014

THE WARMEST BLANKET I'LL EVER HAVE


Even though mom's should actually be swamped with medals every single day, they usually get their reward in form of flowers once a year, namely on Mother's Day. So to all of you enfants terrible who have forgotten about today: go and pretend that you knew about this being Mother's Day and organize a nice bouquet of flowers, or if you don't live at home anymore call them up or at least send an email. 

Today's blog entry is a big shout out to my mom, who managed to refuse the urge to stick me in a basket and send me down the river, even though I am sure I gave her enough reasons in the past 19 years. She sticked to my side whether I secretly cut my hair (and blamed it on her in the kindergarten), broke into my primary school's playroom at age six or hosted house parties for pretty much my entire grade. 

She was the one who would treat my wounds when I fell off the bike as thoroughly as the ones you could barely see, bring me a hot slice of toast with bananas and honey when I was sick or wordlessly make a cup of hot coffee when I got back from school with yet another messed up math exam. 

My mom always knows how to make my day with the little things in life- whether it is surprising me with bringing along a croissant from my favorite bakery in town when she went shopping or sending me little motivational cards before an important event. 

Of course there was plenty of door-slamming, I-will-never-talk-to-you-again-moments and other highly dramatic teenage discussions about shorts being too short or party nights too long. 

At the end of the day, however, I know that you will always be there for me and knowing that is probably the warmest blanket I could ever have, giving me a warm and protected feeling even when times get hard and grey and cold. 

Danke für alles Mama, auf viele weitere Mutter-Tocher Streits, gemütliche Nachmittage mit zu viel Kaffee und Adventssonntage im Plätzchenbackwahn. 




Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen